Saturday, January 14, 2017

Serpentina Palette

                        Today's Review
     KAT VON D'S SERPENTINA PALETTE 


Copyright 2016
  This one I'm very excited to review which is the Kat Von D, Serpentina Palette. Unfortunately it is not available via her website or Sephora but if you live in Australia it's still available on their website: Sephora Australia 
   Or you are able to find it on Amazon for a relatively large marked up price from the original. That being said it is Limited Edition so it's not surprising it now costs a little more for the quantity that's left on the market.


Copyright 2016
  Originally I had bought this palette for $45 USD and thankfully it was still in stock around September 2016 at my local Sephora. I had seen Tati Westbrook review it and the swatches were just so eye catching. The pigmentation was absolutely beautiful and I needed to have this little gem for myself. If you'd like to watch that particular video I'll post it at the end of the blog for you guys to watch. 
  Now before purchasing I definitely did my research. I watched numerous reviews on it as well as read some on various sites. It was around a 50/50 review where some were relatively good and some were absolutely bad. In those situations I just need to try it for myself to get an accurate feel for it and how the product performs. 
  So let's start from how the colors range in the palette above. The first shade is a beautiful red called Bloodmilk. Then we have Medusa, Ankh, Queen, Hieroglyph, Nile, Scarab, Venom and a loose pigment pot called Prophet. 

  When swatching Bloodmilk I honestly didn't think it had enough pigmentation. It skipped a bit initially and didn't really translate well on the skin. But picking it up with a blending brush I definitely was able to build a very good even amount of pigmentation on the lid.
  Medusa is a very light gold shade with a finer micro glitter in it. I thought that because it looked so light that it would translate like that when swatching. However it is more brown toned and pigmented so go in with a light hand when blending.
 Ankh is a very dark brown shade with mirco glitter in it. It's something you want to definitely use with a very light hand as it is pigmented. And because it's pigmented initially you have to spend your time blending. If you have patience you can definitely make this work.
  Queen is a beautiful metallic magenta shade. This shade I love out of the palette because it honestly has the most universal applications to it with any eye look. I love this shade all over the lid, in the crease, as an accent under the eye to brighten. It's pigmented as well so a light hand also goes a long way and you must take your time to blend this one out. 
  Hieroglyph is one of those shades that is a little daunting at first to want to use. It is a orange shade in the pan but swatched it's much lighter and also is one of my favorite universal shades in this palette. It's not quiet as pigmented as the others but again, blending is key with this palette.
  Nile is a deep cobalt shade that's just absolutely stunning. It's what initially drew me to want this palette. Now blue eye shadow can look a hot mess if done incorrectly which is why I love this as a lid color with a deep navy to compliment it in a smoky eye look. It's richly pigmented and it just glides so much more beautifully than any of the shades in this palette.
  Scarab was also one of those shades that drew me to this. I love the green shade as it compliments the gold shades in the palette and any warm toned shades or even cool tone brown shades in another. It has also one of the best pigmentations out of any color in this palette and is also one of my favorites.
  Venom is one of those shades that looks like a pretty lilac shade and besides Bloodmilk one of the only matte shades in this palette. I tried pairing it with some of the other colors but it stands out that it doesn't pair with any of the shades at all. It's very chalky and dusty and the pigmentation is almost non existent. I had to use gratuitous amounts of setting spray to get it to lie on the lid evenly and pigmented enough to see.
  Prophet is also just everything. I am a little fearful of loose pigment as I'm rather clumsy and tend to spill things like that everywhere. With a little bit of spray added to the brush I was able to pick up a small amount of this pigment and make it go a long way. It's beautiful. It is a true gold shade without looking like you've put too much on and it's absolutely gorgeous paired with anything in this palette.
  
  So now that we've gone through all the shades my overall review of this palette is a 7/10. I really do like it and I find that it's exceptional quality in a lot of areas and the packaging is stunning. Her art is absolutely eye catching and I just love staring at this palette on my vanity sometimes. However, this palette is for someone maybe a little more adventurous than I am. It also has no transitions shades so you definitely need to pair this with a few other palettes to get the desired eye look you need. Which transitions shades are always a necessity in an eye shadow palette. I would suggest pairing this with a Morphe Palette if you have one. I have the 35OM myself and sometimes will pair it with some of the shades in the Serpentina Palette.
  
  Well that's it. Thanks for reading this review and keep yourself updated on the next one.
  Also don't forget to follow me on Instagram @ohhaymisskay to stay up to date on my daily.




Here's Tati's review of the Serpentina Palette please also go to her channel and subscribe! You won't be sad that you did!


#staybeautiful
xoxo
-Kar


No comments:

Post a Comment